Wednesday, April 15, 2009

blog, what blog? song, what song?

i almost forgot i started this thing...let's clear the cobwebs away with something nice and corny: how 'bout some half-assed would-be lyrics to a song that i don't know how to the write notes for?...

(not a) godless woman

I

i drempt this up the night you showed me where the lilies grow...

i said 'youre gonna have to duke it out with annie--she's my cocaine, you know'

there aint no sacrament that tastes as good as what we got below

but you would not go

and then i awoke...

and i saw the ink i bleed

is the blood i need

to write this song

and the word i heed

and what i believe

won't last this long

and the scars that tell the story

on my arms are thick and strong

as i need to be

if i refuse to see

im not a godless woman

II

i wrote this out the morning after i felt you shift the ground

you told me more than i could handle without ever making a sound

i had no idea i was lost until the day i was so suddenly found

and i feel you smile

'gee it took you a while'

and this life i knew

and the years i blew

don't matter now

and i look to you

and what i eschewed

and i wonder how

and the scars i got on my arms

they still speak, but they cant do no harm

cuz i know by now

and i can say out loud

i'm not a godless woman

bridge

and youre why i lived the night i thought i'd give it all back but somehow i still woke up

and i couldnt see it then--as the nurses tended to me i blamed it all on them cuz i did not want to breathe but it wasnt their machines

it was you moving through me....

III

i sing this out today because i see i never walked alone

and i cant be silent--i gotta tell the world all that ive been shown

i figure you don't give people stories like this if they're not meant to be known

you're here with me

right where you'll always be

and the story i tell

came from all of the hell

that went before

i got nothing to sell

my soul rings like a bell

because i am yours

and there's nothing that's worth a new scar on my skin

there's no power in sin

i am forgiven

im not a godless woman

i was never

a godless woman

No comments: